For the sixth time in as many duals, the Hawaii beach volleyball team left the court with the scoreboard reading 3-2.
And ,for the fourth time, it was the BeachBows who left disappointed.
No. 14 Hawai’i had its chances when going to a third set in the final three flights against No. 6 Cal Poly at the Ching Complex courts on Friday night. The BeachBows could only close out one of those when losing to the Mustangs 3-2.
It was the second time in 13 days that Cal Poly prevailed by the slimmest of margins in the battle of the two Big West rivals. The Mustangs also won 3-2 at home in San Luis Obispo, Calif., on March 27.
It could have easily been Hawai’i with a 2-1 lead heading into the last two flights. The Flight 3 duo of Kylin Loker-Harlee Kekauoha led for most of Set 3 before giving up a late run in losing 22-20, 10-21, 15-13 to Tia Miric-Mariah Whalen.
At Flight 2, Hawai’i’s Pani-Napoleon-Jaime Santer rallied after being blown out in the first set to put away Jayelin Lombard and former UH player Amy Ozee, playing as a graduate student, 12-21, 21-17, 15-10.
It came down to Flight 1 where Amber Igiede-Brooke Van Sickle led 10-8 and 12-11 in Set 3. Macy Gordon-Emily took the lead for good at 13-12 in pulling out a 17-21, 21-9, 15-13 victory.
Cal Poly improved to 15-4 while Hawai’i dropped to 7-6. The teams meet again in a doubleheader Saturday at 3 and 7 p.m. Hawai’i seniors Napoleon and Kekauoha will be honored after the second dual, which is being televised by Spectrum Sports.
The teams also play a non-counting pairs tournament Sunday beginning at 10 a.m.
No. 6 Cal Poly (15-4) def. No. 14 Hawai’i (7-6), 3-2
- Macy Gordan-Emily Sonny (CP) def. Amber Igiede-Brooke Van Sickle (UH), 21-17, 9-21, 15-13
- Jayelin Lombard-Amy Ozee (CP) lose to Pani Napoleon-Jaime Santer, 21-12, 17-21, 15-10
- Tia Miric-Mariah Whalen (CP) def. Kylin Loker-Harlee Kekauoha (UH), 22-20, 10-21, 15-10
- Delaney Peranich-Sam Strah (CP) lose to Ilihia Huddleston-Kaylee Glagau (UH), 21-17, 16-21, 11-15
- Vanessa Roscoe-Josie Ulrich (CP) def. Anna Maidment-Sofia Russo (UH), 21-17, 21-12
Last time they met Mustangs won 3-2. Box score:
1. Macy Gordon/Emily Sonny (CP) def. Amber Igiede/Brooke Van Sickle (UH) 21-14, 21-19 2. Pani Napoleon/Jaime Santer (UH) def. Jayelin Lombard/Amy Ozee (CP) 24-22, 21-16 3. Mariah Whalen/Tia Miric (CP) def. Kaylee Glagau/Ilihia Huddleston (UH) 21-11, 21-18 4. Harlee Kekauoha/Kylin Loker (UH) def. Sam Strah/Eleonore Johansen (CP) 21-12, 22-20 5. Josie Ulrich/Vanessa Roscoe (CP) def. Sofia Russo/Anna Maidment (UH) 21-17, 21-19
Men’s results from Friday
No. 1 Hawai’i def. CSUN, 25-17, 25-20, 23-25, 25-19
No. 2 BYU def. No. 6 UCLA, 25-19, 25-16, 25-17
Cougars clinch top seed in MPSF and will host tournament
Austin Matautia (Moanalua/Hawai’i) 5-4-14, 4 aces for the Bruins
Wil Stanley (Punahou) 24 assists, 2 aces for the Cougars
No. 6 Long Beach State def. No. 14 UC San Diego, 25-18, 25-23, 25-21
Ethan Siegfried (Punahou) 11-4-22, 5 aces.
No. 8 Penn State def. Charleston, 25-12, 25-16, 25-15 Nittany Lions win EIVA. clinch top seed in EIVA tournament
No. 9 Grand Canyon def. USC, 25-18 25-22, 28-26