Third-seeded Hawai’i defeated second-seeded Long Beach State 4-1 to remain unbeaten at the Big West beach volleyball championship tournament Friday at Long Beach, Calif.
The BeachBows (16-8) and top-seeded Cal Poly (20-8) will meet in the championship bracket semifinal Saturday (7 a.m. HST) with the winner advancing to the final and the loser having to fight out of the losers’ bracket to advance in the double-elimination.
The sixth-ranked Mustangs had an opening-bye then swept Cal State Bakersfield 5-0 earlier Friday.
Hawai’i opened the day with a 5-0 sweep of CSUN.
The Beach won Flight 2 to take a 1-0 lead. The BeachBows answered by winning the remaining four flights, the clinching point coming at Flight 4 where Kaylee Glagau-Ilihia Huddleston downed Emily Mattoon-Jillian Rodriguez, 24-22, 21-19
Hawai’i dropped just three sets all day, all coming against Long Beach State, and two when Pani Napoleon-Jaime Santer lost that Flight 2 contest, 21-13, 21-13. The other came at Flight 1 where Amber Igiede-Brooke Van Sickle prevailed against Mari Molina-Tyler Spriggs, 21-18, 16-21, 15-11. The set was tied 11-11 before Igiede-Van Sickle closed it out with a 4-0 run to win their 10th straight.
The BeachBows are now 13-2 all-time in the tournament, both losses coming in 2019 to Cal Poly when the Mustangs ended UH’s string of three straight titles. Earlier this season, the BeachBows went 1-2 against Cal Poly, the lone win a 5-0 sweep on Senior Night April 10 at the Ching Complex campus courts.
Hawai’i is 3-2 against Beach this season. Long Beach State was to play UC Davis in a loser-out match later today
- CSU Bakersfield 3, UC Davis 2
- Long Beach State 5, Sacramento State 0
- Hawai’i 5, CSUN 0
- Cal Poly 5, CSU Bakersfield 0
- Hawai’i 4, Long Beach State 1
In elimination matches
- Sac State vs. CSUN (loser out)
- Long Beach State vs. UC Davis (loser out
- No. 15 Hawai’i 4, No. 18 Long Beach State 1
- Amber Igiede-Brooke Van Sickle (UH) def. Mari Molina-Tyler Spriggs, 21-18, 16-21, 15-11
- Skyler Germann-Makenzie Griffin (LB) def. Pani Napoleon-Jaime Santer, 21-13, 21-13
- Harlee Kekauoha-Kylin Loker (UH) def. Nicci Reinking-Katie Kennedy, 21-17, 21-14
- Kaylee Glagau-Ilihia Huddleston (UH) def. Emily Mattoon-Jillian Rodriguez, 24-22, 21-19
- Sofia Russo-Anna Maidment (UH) def Kenzie Holtz-Alice Pratesi, 22-20, 21-19
Order of finish: 2, 5, 3, 4, 1