Live stats schedule for all Saturday matches:
No. 15 Hawai’i meets No. 6 Cal Poly in championship bracket play Saturday (7 a.m. HST) at the Big West Tournament in Long Beach, Calif.
The BeachBows (16-8) and Mustangs (20-8) are the lone unbeatens in the seven-team double-elimination event. Third-seeded Hawaii won both of its duals Friday, 5-0 over sixth-seeded CSUN and 4-1 over second-seeded and host Long Beach State.
The Hawai’i-Cal Poly winner advances to the championship (10 a.m. HST) while the loser drops into the elimination bracket to play the winner of Long Beach State-Cal State Bakersfield (9 a.m. HST) That winner faces the Hawai’i-Cal Poly winner for the title. Should the outcome result in both teams having a loss, a deciding match will be played to determine the champion (11 a.m. HST)
Hawai’i dropped just three sets, all coming against Beach, two when Pani Napoleon-Jaime Santer lost at Flight 2, 21-13, 21-13. The other came at Flight 1 where Amber Igiede-Brooke Van Sickle prevailed against Mari Molina-Tyler Spriggs, 21-18, 16-21, 15-11. Set 3 was tied 11-11 before Igiede-Van Sickle closed it out with a 4-0 run to win their 10th straight.
Friday saw the return of Kylin Loker, who missed the last eight matches. She and Harlee Kekauoha teamed for two wins at Flight 3.
Cal Poly, the defending tournament champion, had an opening-round bye and swept Cal State Bakersfield 5-0 in its only dual of the day.
The BeachBows are now 13-2 all-time in the tournament, both losses coming in 2019 to Cal Poly when the Mustangs ended UH’s string of three straight titles. Earlier this season, the BeachBows went 1-2 against Cal Poly, the lone win a 5-0 sweep on Senior Night April 10 at the Ching Complex campus courts.
Hawai’i has won nine of its last 10 matches.
All times HST
M1: Hawai’i vs. Cal Poly, 7 a.m.
M2: Long Beach State vs. CSU Bakersfield, 8 a.m. (loser out)
M3: Match 1 loser vs. Match 2 winner, 9 a.m. (loser out)
M4: Match 1 winner vs. Match 3 winner, 10 a.m. (loser out, unless its the first loss)
M5: (if needed), 11 a.m.
CSU Bakersfield 3, UC Davis 2
Long Beach State 5, Sacramento State 0
Hawai’i 5, CSUN 0
Cal Poly 5, CSU Bakersfield 0
Hawai’i 4, Long Beach State 1
CSUN 5, Sac State 0 (Sac State out)
CSU Baskersfield 3, CSUN 2 (CSUN out)
Long Beach State 4, UC Davis 1 (Davis out)
No. 15 Hawai’i 4, No. 18 Long Beach State 1
1. Amber Igiede-Brooke Van Sickle (UH) def. Mari Molina-Tyler Spriggs, 21-18, 16-21, 15-11
2. Skyler Germann-Makenzie Griffin (LB) def. Pani Napoleon-Jaime Santer, 21-13, 21-13
3. Harlee Kekauoha-Kylin Loker (UH) def. Nicci Reinking-Katie Kennedy, 21-17, 21-14
4. Kaylee Glagau-Ilihia Huddleston (UH) def. Emily Mattoon-Jillian Rodriguez, 24-22, 21-19
5. Sofia Russo-Anna Maidment (UH) def Kenzie Holtz-Alice Pratesi, 22-20, 21-19
Order of finish: 2, 5, 3, 4*, 1
Hawai’i 5 CSUN 0
1. Igiede/Van Sickle (UH) def. Victoria Rogers/Meagan Carter, 21-15, 21-17
2. Pani Napoleon/Jaime Santer (UH) def. Lexi McLeod/Seyvion Waggoner, 21-10, 21-15
3. Kekauoha/Loker (UH) def. Mikaela Maughan/Darbi Honeycutt, 21-18, 21-10
4. Glagau/Huddleston (UH) def. Lauren McMurray/Kailey Klein, 21-19, 21-7
5. Sofia Russo-Anna Maidment UH) def. Emily Sparks/True McCullough, 21-10, 21-13
Order of finish: 2,5,4*,1,3
- * denotes dual clincher