Apologize for lateness, was out paddling
Third-seeded Hawai’i upset top-seeded Cal Poly 3-2 Saturday to advance to the championship of the Big West Beach Volleyball Championship at Rosie’s Dog Beach in Long Beach, Calif.
The 15th-ranked Beachbows (17-8) will meet the Mustangs (21-9) for the championship later Saturday. Cal Poly, the defending tournament champion, eliminated Long Beach State in the losers’ bracket final earlier today.
Currently Cal Poly is up 4-0, waiting on Flight 4. That’s going to 3.
Hawai’i won the first three Big West championships. Cal Poly won the last one held (2019)
Link for the UH-Poly match: (scheduled for 11 a.m. HST but is running late)
The BeachBows clinched the earlier dual with the sixth-ranked Mustangs at Flight 1 when Amber Igiede-Brooke Van Sickle won their 11th straight, rallying past Emily Sonny-Macy Gordon, 18-21, 21-18, 15-11, putting Hawai’i up 3-1. The Mustangs won Flight 3 in three.
Hawai’i 3, Cal Poly 2
- Amber Igiede/Brooke Van Sickle (UH) def. Emily Sonny/Macy Gordon (CP) 18-21, 21-18, 15-11.
- Amy Ozee/Jayelin Lombard (CP) def. Pani Napoleon/Jaime Santer (UH) 21-15, 24-22
- Mariah Whalen/Tia Miric (CP) def. Harlee Kekauoha/Kylin Loker (UH) 23-25, 22-20, 15-11
- Kaylee Glagau/Ilihia Huddleston (UH) def. Sam Strah/Eleonore Johansen (CP) 21-13, 21-18
- Sofia Russo/Anna Maidment (UH) def. Vanessa Roscoe/Josie Ulrich (CP) 22-24, 21-13, 15-12
Order of finish: Doubles (4,2,5,1,3).